Sunday, January 10, 2010

Teegan

so, THIS...
...is what I have been doing the past few days. My smile in this picture was completely for Jadan's benefit (humoring a photo-happy 6-year old is something I've gotten good at since Christmas!) because my heart was SO heavy with worry about Teegan. He has been one sad little boy since about Wednesday. I thought that maybe it was just teething, but his fever and temperament were consistent (and then I realized he was due back to the doctor for a follow-up weight check anyways) so I took him in on Thursday. He has a double ear infection and has gained a whooping 3 ounces (making him just 15 lbs, 3 oz at 10 months) since his 9-month check-up. Needless to say, the DR has gotten increasingly concerned as Teegan's below-the-curve weight percentage IS no longer a curve, but a plateau. In the last month, I tried supplementing with little success and then with his ear infection he has been nursing less and less. Thursday, the DR encouraged me to continue nursing and supplementing with a concentrated formula, PediaSure, even whole milk, ANYthing to get some calories into this boy!! And back in a month to check his weight again. Friday I tried all of the above at different times with little success (I even tried to syringe formula into his little mouth)...I was at my wits end with worry; he began dry-heaving and throwing up after he ate his baby food and I could tell he was getting dehydrated and weak and fussy- totally not my little guy! I felt slightly better when Danny was able to get a few ounces of formula in him through the night. Then, on Saturday, we had made plans to celebrate Cooper's birthday by going to the zoo. I felt reluctant to take Teegan out, but it was a gorgeous day and I really couldn't stand another day of walking around the house trying to soothe him, trying to feed him, and just going crazy with worry. The fresh air did us both good...and I made the decision to try to feed him bottles exclusively (maybe I was trying too much and confusing him with both the breast and bottle)...again, worth a shot?! I am relieved to report (after this lengthy story) that Teegan is much better today (and I am much less of a bundle of nerves and worry). He has kept down a few bottles and his appetite is returning...I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can keep this up and get some weight on him for his next follow-up!!

3 comments:

Dustin and Cassidy said...

I hope things get better for him! We've been there with Rylee, and its lots of worry and stress. We love and miss you guys!

tam said...

Poor little guy! I hope he is doing much better today! There is nothing worse than having sick kids!!

Jimmy, Megs and Braylee said...

Sad!! I hope he is doing better this week. Hope all is going good for you guys and we miss you.