Monday, May 3, 2010

our weekend

Well, we didn't get the month of May off to a very good start! We had great intentions, though...a great t-ball game, lots of yard work, good old family fun! But then, while I was out having a little Mommy time (shopping!), Danny called me and said "where are you? you need to come home." What happened, I asked. Just tell me, I said, after he repeated "Just come home." This must be bad. "Teegan got hurt. The rake fell on him." I zoomed home to find Teegan with a swollen, bloody eye and Danny with 3 bloody punctures on his forehead. Danny felt awful; he had been holding Teegan and hanging up a shovel in the garage. The shovel hit the rake, knocking the rake down, prongs first, into Danny's head and Teegan's eye. If you look at the picture below, you can pretty much see exactly how the rake landed...
Well, after much deliberation and worry, I took Teegan to a really good friend's house. She has neighbors who are ER nurses and they took a look at Teegan's eye. I just didn't feel good about doing nothing, but I wasn't sure if it was bad enough to go to the ER...a second opinion was all I needed...They both agreed it best to take him to the ER. We couldn't tell if his eyelid was completely punctured or if the eyeball itself was damaged. We headed to the ER. The doctor said it could use stitches, but may heal fine on its own too, probably with just a little more scar tissue than with stitches. I had no desire to put him through even more pain so opted out of the stitches. The doctor also did a test to check the eyeball and found that the bottom part (luckily not the cornea) was bruised. So, after they cleaned it thoroughly and gave us some antibiotic eye drops, we were on our way home...what an adventure! Teegan was completely wiped out, but really such a trooper through it all!!
Today, Teegan's eye is looking okay...scabbing a bit, which is probably a good sign. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, either, so that's good news too. I will take him to his pediatrician tomorrow for a follow up and just keep watching it to make sure it's healing and not getting infected. We are so grateful that it wasn't any worse and only minor injuries were sustained...I certainly have two tough guys!!!

1 comment:

Jimmy, Megs and Braylee said...

That is so sad!! Hope they are both doing better!! We love and miss you guys.